Monday, August 1, 2011

Romans 12:10-13

"Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality." Romans 12:10-13

We were asked to memorize these verses before going on our trip to Belize. Although I did not make a point to do so, I will now. My prayer is that I can live these verses out everyday. With my family, friends, co-workers and strangers.

I have so many stories to share about Belize. Stories of miracles, heartbreak, love, poverty, sickness, Jesus, children and friendship. But when I sit down to collect my thoughts, stories, memories and photos I draw a blank.

Here goes...
Belize is a third world country. Poverty is everywhere. You are always surrounded by it. Yet they are some of the richest people I know. The smallest gesture of kindness makes their faces light up. They are never disappointed because they have no other option. They are happy with one change of clothes and being fed once a day. They know the meaning of family and are willing to be a helping hand without being asked. They are the definition of hard working. They are are the ones Jesus is speaking of in Mark 10:31 "...many who are first will be last, and the last first."



There are so many still there that need to be cured of their sicknesses and told about the love, 
our savior, Jesus Christ has for us.  
These 60 people became the quickest best friends I have ever acquired.  We came from all over the country for one common goal, to be the hands and feet of Jesus, and we succeeded! I miss each and every one of them. I miss worshiping with them every morning and enjoying dinner with them every night. 
I am happy to be home with my beautiful son and wonderful husband, but my heart longs to be back in Belize.
I will go again. And I hope to take more people with me. 

1 comment:

mommo64 said...

(have attempted to leave a comment 3 times now...hoping this goes through)
I feel so blessed by God to have a daughter with a heart like His for the poor and needy of this world! Praising Him for your faith-inspired actions of service for the people of Belize. Your spirit and determination to see this trip through in spite of various obstacles have reminded me that God is able.