Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A little road trip and little green soldiers!

Hey Ya'all!
We have been road trippen it! All the way to Ely, Minnesota, to visit my dear grandparents.
Matthew, Benjamin (my brother) and myself all went last year and had a great time visiting and sight seeing. I knew I wanted to go again, and bring Patrick along for the fun.
It is a 12 hour drive, which may sound horrible, but honestly I love road trips. I am really lucky to have a son that doesn't mind them either. I always talk up the place so much, the car ride doesn't even bother him, besides I can handle a few "why is it so far away?" We left at 5am on Wednesday and arrived around 4:30 in the afternoon.
My grandparents have a beautiful house on a lake. Last year, we couldn't of asked for better weather. This year it was hit or miss, but we still had fun.
We went hiking, shopping, sight seeing and mostly a really relaxing time. My grandparents always make awesome food for us and then fill us so full you can't help but pass out after the meal.
We did go and visit the north shore of Lake Superior, which was about 3 hours away. We had so much fun there! We went down an Alpine Slide (3 times), ski lifts, and on a Gondola ride. We then traveled to a pretty tourist-y town and ate some awesome pizza, did a little shopping and fed the ducks. All in all it was a great family vacation with my "lil" brother.
Here are a few photos documenting the trip.
I almost forget we visited the North American Bear Museum. We went last year, but Matthew really wanted to go back. It wasn't as fun this year. Last year they were roaming around in a huge area. You could see them actually playing and relaxing. However, they are redoing that big area for the bears so each bear is in its own very small enclosure.
          This year....                                                                     Last year....
Ben not too impressed.

 Matthew already tired of photos and not really interested in the bears either.
 Hiking.




 Ski lift to the Alpine Slide.
 getting ready...
 Gondola's

 Beautiful


 Grandparents
 Matthew, beyond naptime!

 back on the Gondola.



 Time for pizza at Sven & Ole's.








Feeding the ducks.



 My little boy is growing up. 
I think I may see this face a lot over the next few years.

 Being silly!
 Cheesin' it!
 After the 12 hour drive home we were greeted with a bit of a surprise!

 Green army men EVERYWHERE!











 
They were are still everywhere! Matthew loved it! He keeps on asking how they got there. 
He asks"did  they walk there by themselves?"

Anywho, back to the normal grind here at the Kirby household.
Thanks for stopping in and catching up!

2 comments:

Aimée said...

What a fun trip!!!

Megan Philip said...

I love the pictures! Sounds like such a fun trip - the trees were so beautiful!! And I really liked the army men, ha!!